The College is situated in the Southern Part of Howrah Municipal Corporation Area on the west bank of the river Hoogly, very close to vidyasagar Setu and on a major arterial road in the city, viz., the Grant Trank Road.
Howrah Station :
Any bus plying to Botanical Garden /Bakultala / D.S. Lane / Andul can Uluberai drop a passenger at our College gate.
Sealdah Station :
SBSTC busses can reach upto Howrah Court. One can change over there to a bus directed to botanical garden.
Metro Rail will carry someone upto Rabindrasadan. Many bus routes to Toll Plaza (Vidyasagar Bridge) run through Rabindra Sadan. One can simply walk down to our College from the Toll gate.
Kolkata Station :
The easiest route is through Shyambazar 5 point crossing, which is linked to Rabindra Sadan by Metro Rail. Then follow the proceeding path.
Toll Plaza is about 10 minutes away by bus. One can walk 2-3 minutes to reach the College gate.
Rabindra Sadan :
As mentioned in the Esplanade & Kolkata Station route.
Shibpur Dinobundhoo Insitution (College) is one of the pioneer colleges embracing a vast hinterland of urban and semi-urban areas of Howrah District. Established in 1948, the college has consolidated its position as one of the leading institutions of the district, imparting undergraduate learning in drivers areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Bio and Pure Sciences and Commerce. The College is affiliated to the University of Calcutta and accredited by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council). From the academic session 2009-2010, the college is proud to have introduced Post Graduate Course in Commerce (M.Com) offered by the University of Calcutta.
After 1947, post-colonial and independent India witnessed the emergence of a reorganisation of higher education in the country, radically different from the colonial perspective and perception, our national leaders adopted a wider perspective on the character of higher education in free India : "to provide a coherent picture of Universe and integrated way of life". The Radhakrishnan commission (1948) laid down aims and objectives of.Higher Education : i) transmission of intellectual and ethical knowledge of humanity to the young: ii) enrichment of this heritage, iii) extension of the boundaries of knowledge; and iv) promotion of social values and virtues.
If we situate the foundation of our college within this perspective and attainment of such a dream, we can only then understand the driving force, zeal endeavour of our founder, Prof, Bijoy Krishna Bhattacharya. A well known freedom fighter, Satyagrahi, Prof. Bhattacharya's dream became a reality when on August 16, 1948, the college with the help of Late Kiran Chandra Sinha, Late Bholanath Mukherjee, Late Krishnadhan.Chatterjee, Late Dr. Beni Charan Dutta and Late Gangesh Chandra Mukherjee was named after the late Dinobundhoo Mukherjee, a renowned physician and an educationist of Howrah district. On the 1st of December 1947, Prof. Bijoy Krishna Bhattacharya, President of the Managing Committee of Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution, proposed in a Managing Committee meeting that Intermediate Classes may be started in the school building. The Secretary of the school applied to the University on 23rd of December 1947 seeking affiliation of Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution up to the Intermidiate standard in Arts and Science streams. A Governing body was constituted consisting of Shri Poolin Behari Haldar, as secretary. Three representatives of the School Managing Committee viz, its ex-officio President, Secretary and Headmaster were appointed as members of the Governing Body in recognition of the initiative taken by the Managing Committee to establish the college and the financial help granted by the school to the committee.