|Established||:||5 November 1985|
|President||:||Sri Debapriya Saha|
|Principal / Teacher-in-Charge||:||Dr. Niranjan Kr. Mridha|
|Former Name||:||Gour Mahavidyalaya|
|Affiliation(s)||:||University of Gour Banga|
|Accreditation / Recognition||:||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
|Department(s)||:||Arts, Science & Commerce|
Rules & Regulations for AdmissionAdmission to B.A / B.Sc / B.Com First year Honours and General Course are made strictly on the basis of merit. For Honours Courses in different subjects Merit Lists are prepared on the basis of the formula prescribed by the North Bengal University. Students are provisionally admitted to Admission to B.A. / B.Sc / B.Com (Honours and General) Course and then the North Bengal University finally accepts and issues Registration Certificates in favour of the candidates. As per the instruction of the Backward Welfare Department, Govt. of West Bengal, 22% seats are reserved for SC student, 06% seats are reserved for ST students.
Further, two seats for each Honours department are reserved for Physically Handicapped students out of a total seats 75. Reservation also offered to a very few students of Other Board. Seats for the students of Boards or Councils other than WBCHSE will be reserved in proportion to the total submitted by such candidates.
Eligibility for Admission to Honours CoursesThe candidates who passed the Higher Secondary or Equivalent Examinations must obtain either :
- 45% marks in the aggregate or,
- 40% marks in the aggregate and 50% marks in the subject.
Procedure of AdmissionFinal Merit List of the applicants for different Honours departments are published on the basis of the following rules.
The names of those who figure in the Final Merit List are called out three times consecutively through Microphone on the basis of Final Merit List for admission to B.A First Year Honours Course. If any one fails to respond to the call at the summoning his/her claim is forfeited and the name is summoned up. The process of admission is stopped as soon as the remaining are filled up.
Change of SubjectsChange of subjects/subject may be allowed only within one month of admission provided the seats are available.
Information not found.
- Hostel - The college hostel, Shibram Chhatrabas is a Boys' hostel. It has the capacity to accomodate 40 students.Among these students 22% are reserved for S.C. and 7.5% for S.T.After the completion of College Admission, the hostel admission commences. Admission to hostel is made strictly on the basis of merit and also considering the distance of the residence of the ward from the college.
- Rules and regulations -
- Guests are not allowed.
- Boarders must enter into hostel campus within 8 pm.
- Water is precious;do not waste water.
- To preserve hostel trees.
- Loitering on the top floor is strictly prohibited.
- Anybody who becomes unsuccessful is not allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Hostel mess is managed by the hostel boarders.
- Newspapers, Carroms, Crickets, Badmintons, Volleyballs, Colour TV are available for recreation of the boarder and a telephone connection is there for communication.
- Dr. Ambedkar Study Centre - The UGC approved our college to open Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Study Centre the first of its kind among the degree colleges in West Bengal in the year 2005-2006. The major objective of this centre is to make aware the members of the Voluntary Organisation, Elected Representative of the Panchayati Raj Institutions as well as the students and teachers of this district on different aspects of Dr. Ambedkar Ideas by way of holding Short Courses, Seminars, lecture Series and pilot Survey etc.
U.G.C. approved extension of Ambedkar Study centre at our College for a further period.
- Infrastructure -
Land & Building Land Area (in Acres) 3 Acres Buit Up Area 1.5 Acres Play ground / Sports / Games Area 10,000 Sq. ft. Teaching / Learning No. of Class Rooms 31 No. of Tutorial Rooms 01 for each department No. of Laboratories 10 No. of Seminar Rooms 01 No. of Conference Rooms -- No. of Committee Rooms -- No. of Seats in Boys Hostels 40 No. of Seats in Girls Hostels -- Library Seating capacity of Library Reading Room 1 no. 912 sq. ft. No. of Books in the Library 17,000 No. of Books in Journals subscribed 12 no.s No. of Multimedia Literature -- ICT Infrastructure No. of PCs in the Computer Centre 32 No. of PIV or higher PCs 40 No. of LAN Terminals -- WI fi Connectivity -- Type & speed of Internet Connectivity -- Teaching Tools / Aids Number of Televisions 02 Number OHPs 02 Number LCDs -- Number VCP / VCR 01 Others / Aids Auditorium -- Gymnasium -- Indoor Games Karam, Table Tennis, Chese Sports Facilities Yes Number of Houses for Teacher -- Number of Rooms in Guest House -- Number of Common Rooms for students 02 Health Centre / Medical centre Registrational in students's Health Home Number of Cubicles / Rooms for Teachers -- Common Rooms for Teachers 01 Canteen for Students 01 Transport facility for Students --
College HistoryGour Mahavidyalaya, erstwhile under the North Bengal University and now under the Gour Banga University, situated on the north side of Mahananda river, where N.H.34 passes through Mangalbari, Old Malda, started its journey in the year 1985 in order to cater to the educational needs of the people of the district in general as well as, those of this locality in particular. The college, which started with Arts stream only, had 35 students at the initial stage. As the days rolled on the number of students increased. Now the total number of students of this college is over 3500. The college has only day shift operating from 10.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. The college offers Honours in subjects: English, Bengali, History, Sociology, Education, Political Science, Journalism and Mass communication, Mathematics, Computer science, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Physics, Geography, BCA and General Courses of Arts and Science Streams. The college has one vocational subject i.e. Communicative English.
The college has well furnished departmental rooms, well equipped labs for Science subjects and modern day facilities like at least one Computer for each department with internet connection and Printer as well as Laptop, Projectors, Smart Solution, Automated Weather Station, Telescope, SLR Camera, Video Camera etc.
The College is only 27th Years old. But it is gradually morphing into a well-equipped academic institution with intellectual and technical prowess. The college is confident to carry forwarded this youthful vibrancy and potentiality.
Aims & ObjectivesThe college was built with the following aims & objectives:
- The advancement of learning and inculcating the spirit of education for empowerment by organizing lectures, debates, discussion, seminars, workshops and excursions.
- Opening up the minds of students to the myriad worlds of knowledge, to help them attain academic and professional expertise for a bright future.
- Publication of useful literatures, papers, magazines, books etc.
- Collecting and preserving manuscripts, works of art natural history specimens etc.
- Helping the needy students of all communities to pursue their studies.
The college at present enjoys rare distinction of catering to the educational needs of a composite section of young learners belonging to both the lower middle class of the Malda town and the rural poor of North Bengal, West Bengal. Thus it helps them to face the challenges of life in these hard days such as character-building, self-reliance, serving the cause of humanity, holding out a sense of fraternity as well as national feeling. The college leaves no stone unturned to implement these objectives.
- The college plans to establish a secondary campus to run professional courses like LLB, B-ed, Videography etc.
- Diploma course in Film and Television, Sericulture.
- Diploma courses in Food Processing.
- The college plans to establish a Printing / Publishing House.