News - Beti Bachao, Swachh Bharat and Demonetisation goes to feature by NCERT
The upcoming academic session will witness NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) books featuring significant campaigns such the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao and Digital India
as well as demonetisation. After the National Curriculum Framework was drafted in 2005, this is the first comprehensive review of National Council of Educational Research and Training textbooks.
According to an Indian Express report, the NCERT is in the final lap of identifying changes to its 182 textbooks on different subjects. It has welcomed 221 suggestions received from school teachers on its portal and another 1,113 received from other sources. Of these, the larger number of changes have been made to science (573), social science (316) and Sanskrit (136) textbooks for Classes 6-12.
The sources said that, the NCERT will finalise all changes and place orders for revised textbooks next month.
New changes :
1. NCERT's math textbook for primary classes will be updated with images of new currency notes introduced by the BJP-led government after demonetisation.
2. Class VI social science textbooks will be updated with the new political map of India to reflect the state of Telangana created in 2014
3. More material will be introduced in the Class VIII social science textbook titled Social and Political Life-III related to road safety
4. Sanskrit play 'Bhagvadajjukam' will be removed from Class VIII Sanskrit textbook Ruchira after complaints received from a few teachers saying that they were not comfortable explaining to the students the role of a prostitute mentioned in the text.
5. Demonetisation will be included in the Class X economics textbook, titled Understanding Economic Development.
6. A chapter on constitutional rights in the Class XII political science textbook, "Indian Constitution at Work" - will be updated with the Right to Information and Right to Education Acts.