News - Meritorious teachers to be awarded National Award by Vice President
Meritorious teachers working in primary, middle and secondary schools will be conferred the National Award on the occasion of Teachers' Day by the Vice President, M. Venkaiah Naidu at Vigyan Bhawan.
According to NDTV report, in the programme, apart from the teachers from government schools, teachers from schools affiliated with CBSE, CISCE, Sainik School, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), Central Tibetan School Administration and schools run by the Atomic Energy Education Society are also conferred with the award. There is a set quota of awards for each state.
The awards will be conferred in New Delhi tomorrow and the ceremony will also be webcasted on the MHRD website tomorrow.
About the award :
1. The awards were instituted in 1958 and there are 374 awards in total out of which 20 awards are reserved for "Sanskrit, Persian and Arabic" teachers
2. The award carries a medal, certificate, and award money of Rs 50,000
3. Since 2001, 'Special Awards' have been instituted for special educators who promote inclusive education in schools.
The awards also include a total of 43 'Special Education' awards which are given to teachers of the following category :
1. Teachers with disabilities working in mainstream schools and
2. Special teachers or trained teachers having done outstanding work in the field of inclusive education
The list of awarded teachers has already been published by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) for the National Award to Teachers 2016.