M.A. / M.Sc. (Eco) (Day) Courses 2014
University of Calcutta
Admission to M.A. / M.Sc. (Eco) (Day) Courses 2014
University of Calcutta
Applications are invited for admission to the above mentioned courses. The Subjects are :-
Bengali, English, Linguistics, Pali, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic & Persian, French, Tamil Studies, Buddhist Studies, History, Ancient Indian History & Culture, Islamic History & Culture, Archaeology, Museology, Philosophy, Pol. Science, Sociology, Economics , South & South East Asian Studies, Education, Journalism & Mass Communication.
- Three years Honours Graduates of the Current and Immediately Previous Year in the System of (10+2+3) under Calcutta University.
- Honours Graduates from other recognised Universities.
- Candidates passing Honours / Major Courses in Arts in Under Graduate Degree Level from Indira Gandhi National Open University / Netaji Subhas Open University and the Distance Education Programmes of other Universities in West Bengal.
- Qualified in the Pre-M.A. Examination of this University of the Current Year.
- C.U. Final year P.N.C. candidate may also apply as appeared candidate to be included in the Merit List after production of Pass Mark sheet immediately after publication of result satisfying the requisite eligibility criteria.
- Percentage of cut off marks for entrance test, criteria, if any, will be notified after receiving the application form.
For Tamil Studies Only : (Subject to sufficient number of applications received)
- Honours Graduates of any Indian languages (Modern/Ancient) or History or Comparative Literature (of the Current & immediate preceding year) or
- First Class Diploma in Tamil Language from Calcutta University only.
For South and South East Asian Studies :
Honours in History, Political Science, Economics, Geography, Anthropology, Sociology from Calcutta University or Honours Degree from any other recognised Universities in the above mentioned subject.
For Museology (for M.A. / M.Sc. Course) :
- Any candidate who has passed B.A.(Hons) / M.A. Examination in History / Ancient Indian History and Culture/ Islamic History and Culture / Archaeology / Pali / Sanskrit / Persian / Education / Anthropology / Ethnology / Sociology or Modern Indian Languages like Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, English and other languages in 8th schedule of Indian Constitution / Folklore / Tourism or In service (deputed candidate); he/she will be eligible to take admission in the M.A. in Museology. In case of admission in M.Sc. Museology the student has to pass B.Sc.(Hons) / M.Sc. Examination in Zoology / Botany / Agriculture / Anthropology / Geology / Geography / Earth Science / Environmental Science / Marine Science from Calcutta University or obtained any equivalent degree from any other recognised University / Institution, provided he/she has pursued regular course of studies with any one subject as ancillary besides the Honours subject. The student having an M.Sc. degree in the afore-stated subject must have at least one subject stated above in his/her B.Sc. pass.
- Persons with M.A. or M.Sc. in the subjects mentioned above or persons in active museum or similar organisation for at least two years, if otherwise, qualified and deputed by the institution concerned will be given preference in time of selection for not more than one seat in each group, provided the applicant has good academic record all through. However, he/she should have the same qualification similar to that of regular course of studies.
For Buddhist Studies (subject to approval)
Honours in Pali, Sanskrit, History of different categories, Journalism and Mass Communication, Philosophy,Bengali and any subject of humanities group. Students who complete their P.G. Diploma in Buddhist Studies. (No age bar)
- Form :
Mode of Payment of Application for Offline System :
- Application fee may be deposited with the S.B.I. Calcutta University Branch, College St. or with any other SBI Branch by paying the required additional Bank Transaction fee to be borne by the candidate. The Fees would be paid to C.U. Current a/c No. 33952775663 (with SBI, CU Br.) in the name of "Calcutta University P.G. offline application". Counterpart of the Slip in original after Cash deposition or DD in favour of "Calcutta University payable at Kolkata" is to be attached with the application form. In case of DD or cash deposit pay‚Äźin‚Äźslip please write on the reverse (a) Name of the applicant (b) Application No.(if applicable); (c) Course applied for (d) Honours subject and marks obtained (e) mobile number. No bank charge will be payable if cash deposition made in SBI, C.U. Br. at University of Calcutta, College St. Campus.
Submission of forms :
(From 11:00 A.M. To 3:00 P.M. on all working days i.e .except Saturday, Sunday and University Holidays,) from 01.08.2014 to 14.08.2014. [For M.A. / M.Sc.(Eco)]
Application forms should be submitted either to the office of Secretary UCAC in College Street Campus or Alipore Campus whichever is applicable. B.T. Road Campus for MA/M.Sc in Economics.
Admission in M.A. / M.Sc. (economics) under Faculty of Arts; Faculty of Library Science, Journalism and Education will be conducted through offline admission process. For offline process, copy of the application form is to be downloaded from the website and duly filled-in application form alongwith relevant supporting documents self‚Äźattested by the candidates are to be submitted to the concerned Secretary‚Äôs office. The documentary evidence of the payment of Application fee must be attached with the hard copy of the application (Details shown in the brochure vide Sec. No. 1 & 6). Marksheets, SC/ST/OBC/PWD Certificates¬†¬†in original (Part I, Part II & Part‚ÄźIII) should be shown during the submission of forms.
- (From 11:00 A.M. To 3:00 P.M. on all working days i.e .except Saturday, Sunday and University Holidays,) from 01.08.2014 to 14.08.2014. [For M.A. / M.Sc.(Eco)]
- Admission Procedure :
- Reservation :
Self Attested copy
- B.A. / B.Sc. / B.Com. Part 1, Part II & Part III mark sheets. (Hons.)
SC / ST / OBC¬†¬†certificate. (certificate issued by the competent Govt. Officers only).
SC / ST / OBC¬†¬†of other States will¬†¬†be applicable as per the WB Govt. order.
Original copy :
- Person with Disablity (Handicapped) certificate from the competent authority
- Sports certificate for sports Quota Only ( Details shown in the brochure vide Section no. 8)
For Allied Subjects
- ¬†Order of preference to be mentioned in the application form (Options once exercised can not be changed)
Admission schedule (2014-2016 session)
- Application forms will be available on and from : 11.08.2014 (For M.A.).
- Submission of application form for M.A. / M.Sc.(eco) :
Between 11.08.2014 to 19.08.2014.
- Date of publication of the Provisional Merit list / Selection list (for all subjects) :
- Last Date of claim for correction in Format-I of Information Brochure :
26.08.2014 (upto 4:00 P.M.)
- Date of publication of the¬†¬†Merit list /Selection list (for all subjects)¬†¬†:
- Date of admission (other than allied subjects) on and from :
27.08.2014 to 01.09.2014 (for 60% of seats)
- Date of admission (other than allied subjects) in case of vacancy (from the candidates‚Äô waiting list) :
will be intimated later.
- Date of commencement of the first year M.A. / M.Com. Classes :
Dates of Counselling for allied subjects :
(from 11 A.M. onwards). [60% of seats for C.U. students passed in 2014]
Sl.No. i) to vi) Venue : Alipore Campus, University of Calcutta, 1, Reformatory Street, Kolkata ‚Äď 7000027.
¬†(i) History ‚Äď 27.08.2014
(ii) Ancient Indian History & Culture - 28.08.2014
(iii) Islamic History & Culture, Museology ‚Äď 29.08.2014
(iv) South and South East Asian Studies, Archaeology - 01.09.2014
Counseling will be held untill the vacant seats are filled up
Spot admission on the date of counseling for all allied subjects.
- ¬†(i) History ‚Äď 27.08.2014
Distribution of Admit Cards (online & offline campuswise) :
- ¬†01.09.2014 to 04.09.2014
Date of Entrance Test for 40% of Seats
05.09.2014 : Linguistics (12:00 noon), Economics (2:30 PM), History (12:00 Noon), Education (2:30 PM)
08.09.2014 : Bengali (12:00 Noon), Journalism & Mass Comm. (2:30 PM), AIHC (12:00 Noon), Sociology (2:30 PM)
09.09.2014 :¬†Commerce (12:00 Noon), Sanskrit (2:30 PM), IHC (12:00 Noon), Philosophy, Archaeology (2:30 PM)
10.09.2014 : Hindi, Urdu, Arabic (12:00 Noon), English (2:30 PM), S&SEAS (12:00 Noon), Pol. Science, Museology (2:30 PM)
- 05.09.2014 : Linguistics (12:00 noon), Economics (2:30 PM), History (12:00 Noon), Education (2:30 PM)
Date of publication of the provisional Merit List (40% of seats)
Date of admission¬†¬†for 40% of seats
- ¬†16.09.2014, 17.09.2014 & 18.09.2014
- Forms sent by post will not be accepted.
- Selection will be made as per university admission rules.
- The list of eligible candidates for admission shall¬†¬†be made on the basis of marks and marks obtained by the¬†¬†students of affiliated colleges and the¬†¬†autonomous colleges under this University will be considered at par with each other.
- Admission will be made strictly on the basis of merit, taking preference into consideration.
- Selection lists will be displayed on the notice board. No personal communication will be made with the selected candidates.
- Eligibility for admission of other than Calcutta University candidates; Honours Graduates from other recognized Universities.
- ¬†CU Final year P.N.C. candidate may also apply as appeared candidate to be included in the Merit List after production of Pass Mark sheet immediately after publication of result satisfying the requisite eligibility criteria
- Percentage of cut off marks for entrance test and any other criteria will be notified after receiving the application form.
- ¬†Selection will be made strictly in order of merit on the basis of percentage of marks for 60% of seats for C.U. current year students and rest 40% of seats on the basis of subject wise Entrance Test for Non C.U. and C.U. Students alongwith all back year students. Under the category of 40% of seats, the students be admitted on the basis of a MCQ test on OMR sheet¬†¬†with 50 questions on the subject¬†¬†each carrying 2 marks.¬†¬†Marking will be made in black colour ball point dot pen. Distribution of Marks : For each correct answer 2 marks, for wrong answer minus 0.5 marks; and not attempted 0 (zero) marks will be awarded. If there is a tie of marks obtained in the written entrance test amongst the candidates then the candidates with less negative marking will be placed in higher position in the merit list than the other candidates.
Source : caluniv.ac.in