Vidyasagar College for Women as a full fledged separate college affiliated to the University of Calcutta was founded in 1960. However, its history went back to 1931 when a separate womens’ section of the Vidyasagar College was
started to cater to the educational requirements of the women folk of Kolkata. Its classes were held in the morning. The womens’ section was temporarily brought to a stop during the second world war. Since 1947, however, expansion in all branches of its activities took place steadily and regularly. New subjects were introduced and a group of dedicated teachers inspired confidence among the students who enrolled in large numbers. Since its foundation in 1960, Vidyasagar College for Women committed itself to carry forward the ideals and principles of Pundit Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar, the great educationist and social reformer of the 19th century. At present the college consists of three campuses.
All the three campuses of Vidyasagar College for Women are located at the heart of North Kolkata, the central zone of the Bengal Renaissance movement with the Calcutta University, Presidency College, Sanskrit College, Scottish Church College, Bethune College, the City group of colleges and Victoria College associated with Brahma associations close by. The residential places of the Thakurs, Rammohan Roy, Vivekananda and many other luminaries are within very short distance from our college.