Women's College, Calcutta was founded on 2nd July 1937, by a group of devoted scholars under the guidance of Dr. D. L. De with a view to advancing the cause of higher education among women. The college got affiliation to C.U. on
27th April, 1940. DR. D.L. De was the Principal and Secretary of the college till his death in March 1959.
The college shifted from 204, Cornwallis Street, Kolkata - 6 to the present premises at P-29, Kshirode Vidyavinode Avenue, Kolkata-700003 in 1982 at the initiative of the then Principal, Smt. Hena Maitra. The college has been accredited as a B++ grade college by NAAC (National Assessment & Accreditation Council), Bangalore, in the year 2007.