Delhi University Post Graduate [PG] Examinations 2020 : Final Year Students to be Held in ‘Open Book’ Format
Delhi University has recently announced that the final year exams for Delhi University PG students will be held in open book mode.
- Delhi University has plans on conducting the examinations for final semester students with an ‘open book’ format, which has faced a lot of criticism from the students of the university. In accordance to the guidelines for conducting exams issued on the DU website before, the university has decided to resort to open book examinations for students who are pursuing postgraduate courses as well.
- In a notification uploaded on the official website of Delhi University, various stakeholders have been asked to propose a datesheet for the open book examinations for final year students pursuing postgraduate programmes in the university.
- The notification released by DU reads,” all concerned are hereby requested to propose Date Sheet of all the Post Graduate Programmes of your Faculty/Department/Centre keeping in view the guidelines as per Notification Ref No. Dean (Exams)/02/2019-20 dated 14.05.2020 regarding conduct of examinations for final semester/term/year for the Academic Session 2019-20 in view of COVID-19”
- Open book examinations have been suggested as the most suitable mode of conducting examinations for students by the university amid the nationwide lockdown, which has been imposed in view of the coronavirus outbreak in the nation.
Backlash against open book exams
- Delhi University had issued a notification on their official website on May 14, 2020, regarding the conduction of examinations for final year students of the university. The notice suggested that open book exams be held for final year students since the situation regarding covid-19 is not improving with a very fast rate.
- Nearly 85 percent of Delhi University students have voted against the conduction of open book examinations, as per a survey conducted by Delhi University Teacher’s Association (DUTA). In view of this survey, DUTA has asked the university to explore alternate measures to conduct the examinations for final year students.
- The students and faculty of this university feel that the open book exams will not be fair for those who don’t currently have access to all the required course books. It will also be discriminatory against students with special needs, DUTA feels.
Minimal internet required for exams
- The open book exams that will be conducted by Delhi University is said to require very minimal internet, as per the notification issued on May 14.
- As a lot of students were against online exams, due to the lack of constant and high speed internet in every home, DU made it clear that these exams are not online exams and very minimal internet will be required, only for downloading and uploading purposes.
- The notice reads,” This may please be noted that mode adopted is not an online mode, only for downloading and uploading purposes, there will be a requirement of minimal internet and any latest phone will serve the purpose.”