West Bengal Schools, Colleges to Follow State Govtís Decision on Reopening
[Published on: 10.06.2020]
Educational authorities in West Bengal have said that they would look for the recommendation of the state government regarding reopening of schools and colleges.
- Amid the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak, for the protection and safety of students, the HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ĎNishankí said that schools and colleges across the country could open after August 15. However, it seems like West Bengal has a different approach in its mind. Authorities of such educational institutes in West Bengal on Tuesday, June 9, said that they would look for the recommendation of the state government in this regard.
- State Education Minister Partha Chatterjee has earlier said that schools, colleges, and educational institutions in West Bengal will resume classes after June 30.
- "We will follow the advisory of the school education department and decide accordingly. Already three months have been lost. Taking online classes is not feasible in state-run schools for certain reasons," the headmaster of such a school in Kolkata told PTI.
- He further said that ďas of now, there is no update from the state government about the extension of the "vacation caused by Covid-19. I think the authorities will decide in this regard at the appropriate time.Ē
Decision regarding colleges
- Calcutta University Vice-Chancellor Sonali Chakraborty Banerjee has said that the final year semester exams could be conducted within a month after the university reopens, however, this will be done after minimizing the possibility of large gatherings only.
- Further, the General Secretary of Upacharya Parishad, the organization of vice-chancellors of state universities, Subiresh Bhatattachary has also expressed that they will go with the decision of the higher education department on when to resume on-campus activities.
- "We have already submitted our recommendations about various academic issues, including suspension of on-campus academic activities till June 30," he told PTI.
- The Union HRD minister Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' two days back suggested in an interview that schools and colleges will reopen after August 15.