Indira Gandhi National Open University - phd PROGRAMME
Attention candidates, the online application process for Indira Gandhi National Open University [IGNOU] Ph.D. programme for July 2020 session has started. Candidates who wish to apply and are eligible can apply for the PhD programme on the official website of IGNOU. The website to keep in mind is ignou.ac.in. As per the information, the application process will conclude on 23rd March, 2020. The entrance exam for the PhD programme will be held on 29th April, 2020, and the result for the entrance exam is expected to be out in the second week of May. Candidates will get selected on the basis of entrance test and interview or presentation.
Indira Gandhi National Open University - Ph.d. Courses Offered
- » Ph.D. in Anthropology (PHDAN)
- » Ph.D. in Economics (PHDEC)
- » Ph.D. in Library & Information Science (PHDLIS)
- » Ph.D. in Political Science (PHDPS)
- » Ph.D. in Psychology (PHDPC)
- » Ph.D. in Public Administration (PHDPA)
- » Ph.D. in Sociology (PHDSOC)
- » Ph.D. in Bio-Chemistry (PHDBC)
- » Ph.D. in Chemistry (PHDCHEM)
- » Ph.D. in Geography (PHDGEOG)
- » Ph.D. in Geology (PHDGY)
- » Ph.D. in Statistics (PHDSTAT)
- » Ph.D. in Food & Nutritional Science (PHDFN)
- » Ph.D. in Home Science (PHDHC)
- » Ph.D. in Commerce (PHDCOM)
- » Ph.D. in Management (PHDMGMT)
- » Ph.D. in Education (PHDES)
- » Ph.D. in Gender & Development Studies (PHDGD)
- » Ph.D. in Journalism & Mass Communication (PHDJMC)
- » Ph.D. in Dairy Science and Technology (PHDDR)
- » Ph.D. in Development Studies (PHDDV)
- » Ph.D. in Computer Science (PHDCS)
- » Ph.D. in Law (PHDLE)
- » Ph.D. in Nursing (PHDNS)
- » Ph.D. in Social Work (PHDSW)
- » Ph.D. in Translation Studies (PHDTT)
- » Ph.D. in Vocational Education and Training (PHDVE)
- » Ph.D. in French (PHDFL)
Indira Gandhi National Open University - GENERAL INFORMATION
- » Applications are invited for admission to Ph.D programme in selected disciplines for the July 2020 session. The list of disciplines, name of the Programme coordinators and discipline wise number of seats available are given in Appendix II.
- » The Ph D Programme is offered in strict compliance of the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for award of M.Phil/ Ph.D Degrees) Regulations, 2016 and amendments thereto from time to time.
- » Selected candidates will be governed by IGNOU Ordinance/IGNOU Regulation/Guidelines for conducting Ph.D Degree Programme.
- » Entrance Test is compulsory for all candidates applying for admission to Ph.D Programme.
- » Admission to the Ph.D Degree Programme is strictly on merit, based on the performance in the Entrance Test and Interview.
- » The syllabus of the Entrance Test shall be as per the ‘University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedures for Award of MPhil / PhD Degrees) Regulations, 2016 consisting of 50% of Research methodology and 50% subject specific.
- » The question paper shall have total 100 questions consisting of 50% on research methodology and 50% on specific subject.
- » All the questions shall be Multiple Choice questions (MCQ) with 4 options and only one correct answer. There shall be no negative marking.
- » The Entrance Test shall have a 70% weightage and 30% weightage shall be given to the interview/viva.
- » IGNOU offers Ph.D programme under two categories: Part time and Full time. Both categories of students will be required to attend classes, if course work is allotted to them.
- » The minimum and maximum duration of Ph.D programme is three years and six years respectively. The Women Candidates and Persons with Disabilities (40% or more / “ severe” where percentage is not defined ) are given two years extra in the maximum duration.
- » The Ph.D programme involves coursework during the first six months of admission, which will be conducted in IGNOU Campus at New Delhi only. A student has to attend the coursework on a regular basis. At least 80 per cent attendance is compulsory
- » As of now IGNOU does not have hostel facilities for students. Students have to make their own arrangements for stay in Delhi.
Indira Gandhi National Open University - ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR Ph.D.
The eligibility criteria for admission to Ph.D programme are as follows:
- » Master's Degree from a University recognized by UGC in the relevant discipline with atleast 55% marks [50%marks in the case of SC,ST and OBC(Non-creamy Layer)/Differently-Abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of UGC from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master's Degree prior to 19th September,1991] excluding grace marks.
Indira Gandhi National Open University - SELECTION PROCEDURE
Stage 1: Entrance Test
- » The Entrance Test will be conducted by NTA at National Level across the country. The list of eligible candidates to appear for the Entrance Test will be displayed on NTA website.
- » No separate communication shall be sent to candidates in this regard.
- » Hall Tickets enabling the candidates to take the Entrance Test will also be displayed on NTA website. Candidates are required to download and print the same to appear in the Entrance Test.
- » Candidates are required to bring with them an original identity proof having photograph, such as Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, Passport and ID Card issued by Govt. Agencies.
- » Those who secure at least 50% marks in the Entrance Test (45% marks in case of SC/ST/OBC (Non Creamy layers) / Differently abled persons ) will be shortlisted for the interview in order of merit subject to the maximum limit of five times of the available seats.
Stage 2: Interview/ Presentation
- »Short-listed Candidates in the Entrance Test will be called for interview / presentation of Synopsis before the Discipline specific Doctoral Research Committee.
- » Offer letters for admission will be sent to the Selected Candidates only.
Indira Gandhi National Open University - Important Dates
|Start Date for submission of online application
||28th February, 2020
|Last date for submission of online application
||23rd March, 2020
|Downloading of Admit Cards from NTA website
||09th April, 2020 onwards
||29th April, 2020
|Declaration of Entrance Result
||8th May, 2020
Indira Gandhi National Open University - Direct Link Online Application Form