|President||:||Prof. Jiban Mukhopadhaya|
|Principal / Teacher-in-Charge||:||Prof. Dr. Ujjal Ray.|
|Location||:||Rajpur, 24 Parganas (S)|
|Affiliation(s)||:||University of Calcutta|
|Accreditation / Recognition||:||University Grants Commission (UGC) & National Assesment and Accredidation Council(NAAC)|
|Department(s)||:||Arts, Commerce & Science|
|Click here to view Admission Notices of session :||
Subject Offered :
3year Degree Courses :
|Accounting and Finance B.Com.|
Combination subject :
|B.A Hons||Bengali, Education, English, History, Philosophy|
|B.A Gen||Bengali, Education, English, History, Philosophy, Pol. Sc, Physical Education, Sociology|
|B.Sc Hons||Computer Science, Geography, Physiology, Education|
|B.Sc Gen||Geography, Physics, Comp. Sc, Math, Economics, Botany, Physiology, Zoology|
|B.Com Hons||Accounting & Finance Group|
|B.Com Gen||Accounting & Finance Group|
The college has opened a branch of N.S.O.U to provide opportunity of distance learning to those students who cannot offered regular classes in colleges. Admission is going on in the following course.
|M.A.||Bengali, English, History, Education,Pol. Sc., P. G. D. P. R., M. LIS|
|B.A. (H)||Ben, Eng, Hist, Pol. Sc., Pub. Adm., BILS|
|B.Sc. (H)||Geo, Math|
Admission Rules :
- Admissions are made strictly on the basis of merit and counceling.
- Criteria for admission to different courses will be notified on the college notice Board. All such criteria are subject to revision by C.U. and the college authorities.
- Students applying for admission are advised to come personally with their guardians.
- Reservation for SC/ ST candidates are in recordance with the following norms set by the special cell for the welfare of backward class, University of Calcutta.
- There is a reserved quota of 22% and 6% (28% in total) for SCs and STs respectively in each subject (Honours), stream/ course.
- If adequate number of ST candidates are not available seats will be filled up by SC candidates & vice versa.
- The candidates included in the general merit list will not be counted towards reserved seats minimum qualifying marks for admission as per C.U. norms.
- A SC/ ST candidate seeking admission should have in the previous examination qualifying marks which are not lower by more than 25% from the marks obtained by the last candidate of the general category.
- Application forms are available from the college office. Application forms duly filled in, must be accompanied by the documents listed below.
- The students (General and Honours Courses) satisfying the criteria for direct admission must get themselves admitted at the earliest.
- The names of students selected for admission to Honours course will be hung up on the college notice board and not communicated to students individually.
- The college does not accept any responsibility for cancellation of admission due to suppressions or misstatement of facts by students at the time of admission. The college shall not also be held responsible for cancellation of admission for any reason whatsoever.
No candidates will be allowed admission after a lapse of more than 3 years from the year of passing the previous qualifying examination or discontinuation of the previous qualifying examination.
Geography, Zoology, Botany and Physiology departments are entitled to arrange excursions as a part of academic curricular after obtaining the permission of the competent authority and as per the norms laid down for the purpose.
Special Instruction for geography & Science Honours & General Students :
Students taking up Geography Honours and General shall give a written under taking that they are prepared to participate in field excursion anywhere in West Bengal. Attendance in field trip is compulsory as part fulfilment of B.A. / B.Sc. Honours Syllabi of Calcutta University. Approximate charge for the field trip varies between Rs. 2500/- and Rs. 3000/-.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTION FOR GEOGRAPHY & SCIENCE
Honours & General Students :
Students taking up Geography Honours shall give a written under taking that thay are prepared to participate in field excursion anywhere in West Bengal. Attendance in field trip is compulsory as part of fulfilment of B.A. / B.Sc. Honours Syllabi of Calcutta University.
CHANGE OF COMBINATION OF SUBJECTS
Students however are allowed to change elective subject/subjects if such change is applied for within one month from the date of commencement of classes in the first year. In that case a fee of Rs. 100/- will have to be paid for change of each subject. No application will be entertained after the stipulated date. Change is not permissible.
- No refund will be made in case of withdrawal of admission.
- Security deposit will be refunded after the completion of the degree course within one year from the date of publication of results. Failure to claim security deposit within the stipulated period will lead to non-refund of the said deposit.
- » Library
The college has a central library with open access system. It has 8500 books which includes both text books and other referene books including some reputed journals. The library has a book Bank facility for use by the poor and meritorious students. Facilities like reprography, reading rooms etc. are available inside the library. Daily Newspapers and Employment News are also available in the library.
- » Laboratory
For the Students of Bio-Science department, Computer Science Department, Physics Department and also of Geography Department there are six separate and well-equipped laboratories. Those laboratories have been set up to impart practical training to the students of there subjects. All laboratories provide latest equipments and necessary furniture.
- » Classes and Examination
Classes are generally held between 10-30 a.m. and 4-30 p.m. on each day except Sundays. Class routine provides for intensive study of all subjects, as per University and Government rules. Attendance at classes is obligatory. Permission to appear at public examinations of Calcutta University depend on satisfactory performance and progress in class tests, Annual and Test Examination of the College. No students will be allowed to sit for the University Examinations if he or she remain absent in the class tests and Test Examinations of the College.
- » Identity Card
Identity card will be issued to each bonafide student of the college after admission on production of a passport size photograph.
- » College Magazine
The college magazine is usually published once a year by the student's union and every student is entitled to have a copy of it. Students get the opportunity to give expression to their creative talents through writing in the magazine.
- » Cycle Stand
There is a cycle stand in front of the main gate. The students using bicycle must must keep their cycles at the stand. Cycles must not be placed elsewhere in the campus.
- » College Canteen
A canteen function from inside the college campus. Light snacks, tea, coffee and cold drinks etc. are available at reasonable rates.
Sonarpur Mahavidyalaya is a co-educational degree college. It was established in 1985 and it had been duly accredited by National Assesment and Accredidation Council, (NAAC) Bangalore. The college was founded in September 1985 as a consequence of a long drawn mass movement in the early seventies of the last century led by liberal democratic and education loving people of the locality. As a result of the mass movement of the local people, a preparatory committee was formed under the leadership of Sri Santimoy Bhattacharya. The committee requested the Rajpur Municipality to sanction a plot of land that would be suitable for the establishment of the college. The Rajpur Municipality, now renamed as Rajpur Sonarpur Municipality provided the necessary land and the people from all walks of life in the locality donated generously to raise a building for the new institution. Since then the utmost endevour of the college has been the constant upgradation of its strengths and resources. It is affiliated to the University of Calcutta, which offers a wide range of subjects and facilities to its learners.Three well equipped faculties namely Science, Arts and Commerce have set a high watermark of teaching and learning which is certainly in tune with the heritage of the land.
Being the erstwhile centre of the 19th century Bengal Renaissance this region is the birthplace of luminaries like Dwarakanath Vidyabhusan, the editor of Bengali weekly Somprakash, Rajnarain Bose, the Father of Indian nationalism and Ramnarayan Tarkaratna who authored the first bengali drama 'Kulin Kulasarbaswa'. The ancestral village of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose is not far from the college. Such a rich academic and cultural heritage provides a solid foundation to this seat of learning and with the active involvement of a group of committed teachers and non-teaching staff this institution is surging ahead. Its progress has been rightly recognized by NAAC.