The pressing demand for women's education in South Calcutta led the authorities of Asutosh College to open the Women's Section in July, 1932. On completion of its 25th year of existence, it was felt that this section of the College should be run as a separate Women's College, with a separate establishment of its own. In 1957 the College was separated from the Men's College and affiliated to Calcutta University as Asutosh College for Women (1958), subsequently renamed Jogamaya Devi College, in the hallowed memory of Lady Asutosh Mukherjee.
Jogamaya Devi College is one of the premier institutions for women’s education in India. The college has been tirelessly engaged in the creation of a long and illustrious lineage of women achievers in every field of life. The galaxy of eminent personalities the college has as its alumni, bears testimony to this noble Endeavour. It provides opportunity for higher education to a large number of students from different economic cultural, ethnic and linguistic backgrounds as well as minority communities and backward classes (S.C., S.T. and O.B.C.)