RAJA PEARY MOHAN COLLEGE was founded on 20th June, 1887 by an eminent philanthropist, promoter of education and social reformer in the nineteenth century Bengal, Raja Joykrishna Mukherjee, an benevolent zamindar of Uttarpara,
in the Hooghly District of West Bengal. The college is situated in a place which is very near to the famous Grand Trunk Road and just on the opposite bank of the Hooghly river of the famous temple of Goddess Kali at Dakshineswar. Exactly, 125 years ago from now, with thirty one students Raja Joykrishna Mukherjee established this Higher educational Institution with the vision and mission to achieve excellence in higher education and equip and empower students with relevant knowledge, competence and creativity, spread female education and practice inclusive growth for socio-economic change and sustainable development for the society. It is noteworthy that Probal Chandra Mukherjee, himself a member of the founder's family was the first student of the College Unfortunately, Joykrishna Mukherjee breathed his last in 1888 only one year after the foundation of the College. The college came under the benevolent patronage, Raja Peary Mohan Mukherjee., worthy son and successor of the late Joykrishna Mukherjee. Throughout his life Raja Peary Mohan spent huge sum of money for the College and it was in the fitness of things that the College was renamed after his memory in function held on 4th of October 1953. In 1887, when the College was founded Shyama Charan Ganguly, the headmaster of the Govt. School became temporarily the Principal. However, the first Principal Kaliprasanna Ganguly joined in 1897. Kumar Bhupendra Nath Mukherjee son of Raja Peary Mohan Mukherjee, also like his father contributed a substantial financial assistance for the maintenance and survival of the College. Till 1950, classes were limited to the then Intermediate Standard. In 1955 the College got its affiliation for B.A. from the University of Calcutta, for B.Sc. in 1956 and B.Com. in 1958. Honours classes started in the College for the first time in 1959 in the department of Bengali and Mathematics. Gradually Honours affiliation came in Philosophy (1961), Physics (1964), Zoology (1965), Political Science (1966), Economics (1966), Chemistry (1966), Commerce (1972), Physiology (1990), Botany (1996), English (1996) and History (2002).The Departments have a very good track record in examinations with University toppers in a number of subjects. Today the students come to this College not only from the rural areas of Hooghly and Howrah, but also from the outskirts of Kolkata and other districts too. The College celebrated its Centenary with much pomp and grandeur in 1986. To commemorate this occasion the then Honorable Chief Minister, Sri Jyoti Basu laid the foundation of a new building on 22nd June 1986 and the building was later named as the Centenary building. An Auditorium comprising of 320 seats and all modern amenities was inaugurated on 15 January 2002. In 2006 the college has undoubtedly able to solve the acute space-problem to some extent with the help from the ex-alumina of the college and ex-honourable Member of Parliament Sri Santoshsri Chatterjee, from his M.P. Lad fund, with a addition of a new floor which is now and has endowed the College with a new look.