In 1950 Vijaygarh Jyotish Ray College came into existence as part of a larger historical reality known as Bengal Partition. Continuous with the struggle carried on by the victims of partition elsewhere, the college sprang up with
the sole effort put in by those uprooted from the erstwhile East Bengal. In order to understand the historical struggle, its philosophy and the goals that compelled the birth and the subsequent growth of the college, the background and its location may be briefly outlined.
Vijaygarh Jyotish Ray College is located in the Jadavpur area bordered by Saktigarh, Pallisree, Sree Colony, Golf Green and Vikramgarh. It covers an area of approximately two square miles and living within the colony today are approximately 15,000 inhabitants. The land was originally owned by the United State Army and by a private Zamindar. Although the settlement of this land by first refugees in 1946 appears to be in line with the classic pattern of Jabardakhal, there was actually much behind-the-scene negotiations with the government on the part of veteran freedom fighter Santoshkumar Dutta who had a land deed to occupy the land. There were secret instructions to the police not to disturb those squatters, but there were frequent police raids and the constant presence of plainclothes policeman. The Zamindar, however, had not given his tacit approval to the settlement, and there were constant confrontations with his hired hoodlums. Despite these bloody raids, the squatters felt that by fending off the onslaught of invaders, they had won a significant battle. In recognition of this pride, they named the colony Vijaygarh which means "Victory Fort".