The foundation of Sanskrit College was laid during the British regime based on a recommendation by HT James Prinsep and Thomas Babington Macaulay. It was under the auspices of Rt. Honorable William Pit Amherst that John Paskal Larkins Esquire, a scholar of oracular knowledge laid the first foundation stone of the college in 1824. H.H. Wilson, the Secretary to the then British Govt., took a major role in establishing this college to impart knowledge of ancient literature, philosophy, Hindu Law, grammar, Indian Culture and to promote the learning of Sanskrit among British officials as well as the Indians. The college has continued to spread the light of knowledge since its inception and survives as a heritage institute and a premier educational organization of the country at present. Pandit Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, E.B. Cowell, Pt. Haraprasad Shastri, S. N. Dasgupta, Pt. Joyagopal Tarkalankar, M.M Pt. Mahesh Chandra Ná»¹ayaratna, Pt. Satish Chandra Vidyabhushan, Pt. Taranath VacÄspati, Pt. Prem Chandra TÄrka Bagish, Pt. KalipÄda TÄrkacharya, Dr. Kalidas Bhattacharyya, MM Pt. Chinnaswamy Sashtri, H. H. Wilson, Prof. DurgÄmohan Bhattacharya, Gourinath Sastri are some eminent stalwarts who have enriched and enhanced the College over the years. The college continues to stand tall even after 188 years and specializes in the scholarship of Indian Tradition, Oriental Philosophy and Religion with undergraduate programmes in Sanskrit, (both formal and TOL system) Pali, Linguistics, Ancient Indian and World History, Bengali and English at present. Sanskrit is also taught at the post graduate level. The college has a library of distinction and scholarship comprising of more than 2 lakhs books and more than 20000 manuscripts including some rare ones. Noted for its immense historical importance the library is frequently visited by several scholars and academicians across the world for research purposes.