Instruction, Government of Bengal, introduced a two year senior course in commercial studies in Presidency College, Kolkata. By leaps and bounds it developed into a separate Commercial Institute in 1905. In the same year the syllabus underwent a thorough revision and a number of subjects began to be taught to meet the requirements of the office assistants of the time. In 1907, the Commercial classes were shifted from Presidency College to 303, Bowbazar Street. As the classes became more and more popular, students enrolment increased and larger space was required. The spacious building of 285, Bowbazar Street served the purpose, but with the introduction of the new course of Banking it was shifted to 11, Hastings Street, then to 19, Wellesley Square and finally to Netaji Subhas Road by 1928.
The Institution finally acquired its present position at 210, Bepin Behari Ganguly Street, Kolkata in 1951. Owing to the benevolent Goenkas, it remained comfortably in its present location replacing the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science. The Institution now came to be called Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration whose main objective was to create competent professionals for the fast developing business and growing service sector in post colonial India. The uniqueness of the college lies in the fact that it is an institution that teaches exclusively commerce subjects and had started teaching the subjects even before the University of Calcutta had its commerce stream. In 1930 the course of the final examination of the college was recognized by the University of Calcutta as equivalent to its Intermediate Examination. In 1948 the College was granted affiliation to the All India Council for Technical Education for imparting education in the National Diploma Course in Commerce. Since 1931 the College has been affiliated to the University of Calcutta for teaching the B.Com. Course.