Sometime in 1955, Sri Jibandhan Ganguly, a renowned social worker and educationist from Belgharia, donated about 11 bighas of land to the West Bengal Government for the setting up of a degree college in Belgharia for the teaching of arts, science, and commerce. The primary objective was to provide higher education opportunities for boys and, more particularly, for girls in the industrial area of Belgharia since it was inconvenient to continue higher education in Kolkata.
The college came into being on 3 September 1968.
Bhairab Ganguly College has been contributing to the academic enrichment and development of human resources of its hinterland, encompassing the entire domain of the North suburban locality of Kolkata metropolis, an area belonging to the Northern periphery of the city and its neighouing districts. The college has created and maintained an academic atmosphere that promotes the all-round personality development of the students and enables one to grow to the fullest.The aim of the college is to bring to light the inherent qualities of budding learners, to enlighten the human values and to convey the benefits of higher education to those untouched by the gifts of progress.The excellent faculty of this institution always tries to reach the have-nots and light the candles of hope, joy, justice, harmony and freedom. The college strives to create a learning culture that exemplifies excellence in teaching, promotes lifelong-learning and prepares students for the challenges of tomorrow. Since its inception BGC has shown consistent performance in academics, extra-curricular spheres and extension activities towards the society. The college endeavours constantly to develop as an enabling educational institution, grooming the overall personality of the young citizens with the highest emphasis on ethical and social values.