Bolpur College was established in the year 1950. It is located in Bolpur sub-division of Birbhum district of West Bengal, India. At the time of its establishments the College was affiliated to Calcutta University.
In the year 1956 the College was recognised as Government sponsored college. In 1960 Burdwan University was established and the same year Bolpur College was brought under it. The College offers Honours and General degree courses in as many as fourteen subjects: eight subjects are taught in the Humanities stream (such as Bengali, English, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Philosophy and Sanskrit), five subjects in science stream (such as Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Zoology) and one subject in commerce stream (Accountancy). The College imparts education to not less than three thousand students every academic year.
The College has two units of NSS. It also has one unit of NCC. The College is also one of the study centres of Netaji Subhash Open University (NSOU).