Partition in 1947 started a massive exodus from what is now called Bangladesh to West Bengal and its neighbouring States. The flow was more or less continuous, during the first twenty-five years or so, in torrent in the initial years,
but in steady trickles most of the time. A considerable number, in fact several lakhs, settled people land for temporary as well as permanent shelter. But there was much more needed in the processes of settlement than land. The settlers showed tremendous grit, determination and enterprise in overcoming the inevitable obstacles to the starting of a fresh life of purposefulness and hope.
Predictably education, especially good, school education for children, came to enjoy the topmost priority in their scheme of things. The modest township of Netaji Nagar, one of the several settlements on the southern fringes of Calcutta, took a lead in giving a boost to efforts for realizing this dream. They scrapped together whatever modest resources they could lay their hands upon and set up in quick succession two high schools, the Netaji Nagar Vidyamandir for boys and the Netaji Nagar Valika Vidyamandir for girls.
Thus began the eventful carrier of the Netaji Nagar College on the 25th September 1967 with evening classes arranged in the premises of the Netaji Nagar Vidyamandir. Construction of the college building began within three years’ time. A corpus of fund to finance the building was created with a sum of one lakh and fourteen thousand rupees, quite a handsome amount by the standards of the tune. People from all walks of life contributed to the fund. A measure of People’s urge for making a success of the college can be had from the fact that the common man’s small donations, of one or two rupees each, added up to quite a significant of the corpus.