Siliguri College was established on October 8, 1950 and over the years has witnessed enviable growth. At present it is, in many ways, the college of first choice under the University of North Bengal.
After partition and independence, Siliguri gained importance both strategically and in trade and commerce. There was an exodus of migrants from the then East Pakistan and Siliguri College was established under the refugee rehabilitation scheme to provide opportunity of higher education to the youth population of the region. The college was affiliated to University of Calcutta till 1962 when the University of North Bengal came into being.