On 9th March, 1942, under the chairmanship of former Calcutta Vidyasagar College student- Shri. Abinash Chandra Mitra, the college started its journey as a branch of “Vidyasagar College”, Calcutta. Classes started in the house
adjoining Shri. Amitaranjan’s Kali Temple (Kali Bari), while the new building was being constructed south of the adjoining Banyan Tree of the selected place for the new college. Classes shifted to the new building in June 1942. Total number of students in the 1942-43 batch was 212 only. For them, students hostel were also set up in rented rooms at Kendua Village (known as Kendua Chatrabas), in the outskirts of Suri. After 1948, it became an independent college with the name “Suri Vidyasagar College”. The first Principal of the Suri Vidyasagar College was Prof. J. K. Chowdhury from 09.03.1942 to 28.02.50 and the first Vice-Principal was Prof. Tribhanga Murari Mondal.
The college volunteered for institutional accreditation by NAAC, Bangalore, in November 2005. After analysis the executive committee of the NAAC awarded a grade of B+, on February, 2006. Now, in the second decade of the 21st century, the college stands tall, spreading the message of knowledge and wisdom to the society. Today, spread over an area of 25 Bigha, 5 Katha and 8 chatak, the college consists of 19 Academic Departments out of which 15 offer Honours & General courses, 4 General Courses and 1 P.G. Course. In 1996, the total built area of the college was 29,856 sq. ft. Another 14,755.31 sq. ft. was added between 2001 and 2004. Currently the total built area is around 70,000 sq. ft. which contains classrooms, laboratories, library, office, seminar halls, canteen, bank, post office and students’ hostels (separate for Boys and Girls).