Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Women’s College is a Government Sponsored College, affiliated to Calcutta University from 1955 to June 1960, and to the University of Burdwan thereafter. Subsequently, for introducing PG Course in English in 2005,
the college came to be recognized as a Constituent College of the University of Burdwan. It has been recognized by UGC (2F & 12 B) and accredited twice by NAAC (Grade B, CGPA 2.72).
Socio-economic developmental ideals cannot be achieved without ensuring participation of women, cutting across social barriers, in Higher Education. Eminent educationists and social reformers of Burdwan felt this truth way back in the 50's. Since the conservative guardians of the time were hesitant to send their female wards to a co-educational college for higher education, they founded M.U.C. Women's College on 28 July 1955 even prior to the establishment of the University of Burdwan to which the college is affiliated. The college is housed in the palace gifted by Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Mahatab. Later on, a portion of Anjuman Kachhari attached to the palace was also gifted to the College. As a mark of gratitude the institution has been named after the former Raja of Burdwan, Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Mahatab. It has the rare honour of being visited by Hon'ble Ms Padmaja Naidu, the first woman Governor of the state of West Bengal and by Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy, one of the great architects of modern Bengal. Since then, in the teeth of all odds, the college has remained committed to this noble cause of academically and culturally enlightening women, the no-less promising yet even now one of the deprived sections of the society. The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee during 2004-05. The year-long Jubilee function was inaugurated by Mr. Somnath Chattopadhyay, former Speaker , Lok Sabha The college had a modest beginning with only Intermediate Arts and General Degree Course in Arts. The venture was in keeping with the demand of the time when graduation was a dream among women and studies in Humanities were rated high enough. Subsequently when the dedication and endeavour of the teachers of the time succeeded in creating avid interest among literate females of the locality for higher studies, the college introduced Honours Course in various Arts subjects within a few years of its establishment. This was probably because of the pride of place of an Honours Course which is still looked upon as intellectually more challenging and has with better career opening. Though no Science Course was offered to students at the beginning, in keeping pace with the priority given by the first Planning Commission, the Science Courses were introduced first at the pre- Degree (Intermediate) level in 1957-58. Subsequently Science studies were extended to the Degree level and gradually up-graded to the Honours level.
As the number of students continued to grow, thanks to the spread of literacy among women in the region, the college started the Morning Shift in 1970 which still runs parallel to the Day Shift with a good number of student intake in the General Degree Course (Arts only). Over the years M.U. C. Women's college has emerged as a prestigious institution of higher learning not only in the locality but also in society at large. It is now being increasingly felt that mere traditional education, however precious, is not adequate for the women of our time. It is to be supplemented with technical-vocational education that enables the learners to play a more meaningful role at home and the world. So the college is now all set for incorporating in its present system new courses with greater scope for self-reliance and job-accessibility in the fast-changing world of Science and Technology. Accordingly, B.Sc. Hons course in Microbiology was introduced in 2004. In 2005 PG course in English was introduced. The college further introduced BA General course in Physical Education from2005-2006 academic session. B.Sc. Honours courses in Nutrition and Computer Science were also introduced in 2007 and 2009 respectively.